Tuesday, October 13, 2009

You’ve Got Questions!

You've Got Questions!

Thanks to everybody who sent questions! Don't be afraid to ask more! I'll try to respond.

1.I would love to hear about your perceptions about the differences and similarities between your French and American peers. How do French teens behave in school, what are they interested in, how are they planning for the future, what do they do for fun, get along with adults, etc.?

Sorry for all the unknowns, but...

There seam to be a lot more similarities , but here are a couple of differences

-There a large variety of cliques, and the cliques intertwine more, everything isn't so divided.

-Every kid behaves perfectly in class...just kidding, the same on that respect

-It doesn't seam like how you dress is so important, but lots of the girls dress up more( like high heels ,ect;), I guess the guys too, but if you don't , it's no big deal

-A ton of kids smoke(a ton), maybe like 40 percent

-Sports aren't a huge deal here(not in the high school) the athletes aren't automatically at the top of the cool chain

I can't communicate very well, so I don't know what kids are interested in... They seem to get along with adults pretty good, it think it's the same...not sure about future plans.. I haven't 'hung out' with anyone yet, but I think a popular thing to do is go to the Disco-tech(the clubs I think?)

2. Are most American tourists that you've seen as obnoxious as we hear they are?

I just saw Americans for the first time on the boat ride home from St.Tropez. They didn't seem too obnoxious...I guess people tend to check out Paris more??

3. How is your French coming along?

Aye...I guess it's improving, I feel like it’s still pretty awful, but people tell me I've improved a lot. I think it will be awhile before I'm dreaming in French, when that happens I'll tell you about it

4. Have you found a girlfriend?

No, but people here tend to ask a lot. Plus, if I did I probably wouldn't write about it on my blog, RYE discourages romantic relationships...just saying

5. OK, that sounds good. I'll think of some. OK, I have one. How did you get so lucky?

That’s a very good question; I think about that a lot sometimes...I guess I really considered doing this when my awesome friend messaged me on facebook, so thank you so very much facebook! Just kidding...thanks Anna.

6. Has your opinion of the US--the government in particular--changed in the time you've been in France?

No

7.What is the shape of religion and Christianity in France?

I don't know a whole lot on ,this subject, my 'family' doesn't attend church. I do know that there are very few protestants , mostly Catholics, and the there is a large Muslim population(there are more Muslims than protestants) .Apparently there are some protestant churches, some of the other exchange students go,(one goes to an International Baptist service for English speaking tourist) but I haven't been to church in the past month and a half.

8. Any drama in your vicinity?

I think in a town nearby, Draguignan, there's a school of fine arts, where plays are put on.

9. Does the school do any dramatics?

I think there might be a group that meets on Wednesdays; I'll try to ask my French teacher about it soon.

10. Are you playing music there?

Nope...Unless singing in the shower counts!

11. OK here's another one: is your family there interested in politics like we are here?

Um...they were really interested when I was talking U.S. politics but I don't know...I think in general the French are not pleased with Sarkozy’s leadership.

12. Are French girls prettier or more mysterious than American girls?

I can't respond to this without making someone angry...I'd say French girls and American girls are incredibly beautiful. Mysterious? Like wearing a black and white shirt and a beret and smoking a cigarette in a dark alley?...No.

13. OK, how about this one: Do they like their health services? What's it like if they go to a doctor? Do they get a big bill?

I have no idea (personally)... I'm assuming their system is really good, they’re ranked #1 on the WHO's list. I'll try to find out more info.

14. Do they make waffles in France?? I have such fond memories of times eating waffles in Fayette.

I haven’t' eaten any French waffles. I sometimes wish I could make some, but I don't think my family has a waffle iron.

15. So what'd you eat this past week?!?!

To answer this question I'm gonna make a collage on picassa...check it out! Here’s the link: http://picasaweb.google.com/elitinkfort/FOOD#5392169252144030882

15. So what has been your favorite day so far?

Most have been pretty incredible; My first time in Frejus (my second or third day)…Going to the festival in Fayence...I think being able to meet the other exchange students and talk about what it’s been like for them might have been the best...but I'm (obviously) not sure.

16. How old do you have to be to go to a tavern / enjoy a beer?

I think 18, technically, but if I understand it's pretty easy to get into a club/bar/disco-tech if you're younger.

17. Do you have an address for people to mail you at? I'm sure you're getting lots of emails and Facebook messages and such, but I imagine it would be nice to get snail mail from time-to-time.

Eli Tinker Fortel

Lalaus

22 Avenue Jean Jaures

Les Arcs, 83460,

>p>France

17. What do the French think about the current health care debate in America?

I think it's hard for them to understand why there's even a debate...

18. I just got GoogleEarth, and I'd like to try to see your school from the sky. What is the address?

Okay, I don't know the exact address but if you search 'Chemin des Vignes, 83490 Le Muy ' in Google Earth - it's the complex right across the highway. It was being built at the time the satellite image was taken (two-ish years ago) so the area around it is all dirt.  here’s a aerial image of the school http://www.panoramio.com/photo/4727670

19. Do you eat croissants for breakfast every day?

Nope, generally I eat yogurt and fruit. The yogurt (sometimes) has this whipped cream cheese on top of it, which is yummy! Plus there is lots of cereal, and Nutella that I sometimes have.

20. What's dinner like? Do you cook? Are you learning any great recipes?

Dinner is so delicious every night! Dinner starts off with salad and dressing (a bowl with olive oil, vinaigrette, basil, and garlic, that is passed around and spooned onto the salad), baguette (generally someone tears off pieces and passes them around to each person) by it self or with meat or often duck liver pâté (sounds gross, but it's delicious).

Then, the main course. The main course is different every night. Sometimes casserole, pasta with meat, steak (frozen, cooked and tasty), and in general fish a couple times a week (this week we had stingray!). After the main course, cheese (of all different kinds, most stinky, all delicious) is served with more 'pain'. Then, there is either dessert or fruit to finish off the meal.

I try to help out with diner every night, set the table, or clean up afterwards, i also try to empty the dishwasher every once and a while.I haven’t ‘learned’ any recipes, but I try to help out…

21. Have you seen any movies? At the theatre?

No! I miss going with my family/friends in the U.S. Wednesday (like I said earlier) I'm going to a movie w/ my exchange pals. The French don't see as many movies as (U.S.) Americans.

22. It is now fall in Missouri. And it's cold. Is it still warm there?

It is still warm here, although today the Mistral Winds are starting (cold winds from the north, that are said to have driven Van Gough into insanity) and it smells like fall.

23.When were you last at the beach? Can you soak up some sun for me?

A couple weeks ago. I live about 30 minutes or so from the beach, so we haven’t gone a lot. Some days, it's still warm enough to swim, but they’re becoming more and more rare. and...yes ,if I get a chance, definitely.

24.Have you met any American expatriates? If so, how do the French feel about them - welcoming or shunning? How difficult would it be to emigrate from the US to France?

The first American I met was the English teacher. The French seam to really like Americans, the younger generation is fascinated by the culture( the music, film, and stars,) and the older generation is grateful for our involvement in WWII. I'm not sure what it would be like to immigrate, what you would have to do, (a citizenship test???),...sorry I don't know more.

26.OK, here's one I was JUST thinking of one minute before you wrote. Do you get homesick?

Nah, never...of course! I get homesick a lot. Before we left, Rotary showed us this line graph of what our mood would be like, it looked like an insane roller coaster...it was right, sometimes I can't stop smiling and then the next minute I miss home so much, it's hard not to frown.

Thanks for all the niftily awesome questions, if you have anymore, just email(elitinkfort@gmail.com )them to me or comment

5 comments:

  1. Hehou! you mistake in The adress! You forgot the zip code! 83460 :)

    Nice article though!

    :)

    Mel (rocks!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew there was something missing in that address! Good thing Mel (rocks!) is keeping an eye out for you! Also, thanks for two great blog entries today! The Q/A was fun and informative, and it's nice to read about your many adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel , you indeed rock ^_^! I'll add the zipcode!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're really funny.. i thought i would let you know.
    i can hear you speaking in my mind, it's creepy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you,sweet dreams, goodnight.oxoxoxyour mom.

    ReplyDelete