Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Opps… i just lost another two weeks of France

It's been a while...I apologize. Let's see
Monday was a good day at school, not a lot of crazy things happened.
Tuesday Biggest thing is when I got to the sports area at school (at 1 o’clock) I found out the prof had a meeting with other teachers...so class was canceled.  It was the last class of the day, so I called Yzabel and she came and picked me up. When I got home, I walked to the pharmacy and bought mouthwash! I was pretty excited because it was the first purchase of something by myself. We ate dinner at McDonald's (the inside, not the McDrive) it was pretty similar.  Differences: they have espresso, with Fig sauce, a couple different sandwiches,and pastries available, plus everything was more expensive.
Thursday night I went to the Rotary meeting. At the meeting, I gave the president the banner from Fayette’s Rotary club, and district 6080’s banner, they were very happy to get them, and passed them around so everybody could get a close look.  A good night.
Friday after school, I was walking home from the bus drop off and Claude pulled over, I thought at first he was giving me a ride, but he and Cannelle were going to the doctor’s house. Cannelle had hurt her leg, (she has to wear a cast for the next 3 weeks). When Yzabel got home , she and I went to Hyper U to buy food for Saturday's picnic in St.Tropez. Originally, Claude, Yzabel, Cannelle, and I were going to go, but because of Cannelle’s leg just Yzabel and I went.
Saturday (the 3rd) Yzabel and I drove to Frejus, and went to the, (right now I can’t think of the word), boat ticket place and waited in line. Mme et M.Chabound arrived with the exchange student from India and her ‘mom’. We all took the boat to St.Tropez. The ride was great, Oneza, (from India), and I sat together and talked (in English) the whole ride, which was awesome.
When we got to St.Tropez, we waited for the other students to arrive. The first to come was Tracy from South Dakota. At that point I was feeling pretty lucky, another American, and two other people with English as their main language! Then a group of three students (all American) arrived! I was really excited, 4 other Americans! In the end, of the 10 exchange students 8 were from the US, one from India, and one from Japan. The girl from Japan’s English was much better than her French, so all of us talked English all day, which was great. Lots of wondering how similar our situations are , like:
“Do you miss hugs?”
“Do people also assume you know celebrities from America?”
“Do you eat cheese after every meal?”
“Do lots of kids make out at your school too?”

At the end, when saying goodbye, we hugged! That probably doesn’t sound too exciting for you, but I (and the other students) had been missing hugs!  I also learned that Oneza lives in a town 20 minutes from me, and Katelyn lives 45 minutes away.

Sunday Worked/procrastinated on an essay on Hamlet.

Monday School was good. After school I rushed home to see Obama’s speech on Health Care, given to a group of doctors. In that group, my mom! Pretty Awesome!!! That was very exciting for me!
Tuesday I forgot my gym clothes so had to run and everything else in jeans, not a whole lot of fun.  After school, I made plans with some of the exchange students I met the past weekend to meet in Toulon by train after school Wednesday

Wednesday after school at 1:15 Claude took me to the station and helped me buy my tickets. There was a long line and I got the tickets just in time. The train departed at 1:40 and arrived at 2:14. It was a beautiful ride and really nice train, the seats weren’t uncomfortable!

Plans changed and I didn't end up meeting up with the other exchange students.  So I caught the next train back to Les Arcs.
Even though I didn’t get to see much of Toulon, it was still really exciting to take the train by myself, and the ride was definitely worth it. It was cool that it was no big deal to change plans...just took the next train home! Wednesday, some of us are planning  to see a movie in Draguignan.

Thursday I gave a presentation to my English class on school in the U.S. Some things were really difficult (for even the teacher to understand),and not because of their limited English. Like credits and how the schedule works. Here ,you’re in a class were everybody has the same schedule and goes to the same classes together, so it’s very different. But overall it was pretty good, plus the other English teachers want me to give the same presentation to their classes.
Friday In school I met another English teacher who was from Virginia!  Pretty awesome to have another American (...I guess after 20 years she's technically French) in the school. After school Yzabel and Claude had a small Dinner party with two families, It was really nice.
Sunday Claude, Yzabel, Cannelle and I went to an outdoor type place with a maze where you had to answer questions to get through certain sections for a birthday party of friends' son (he was turning 12). There were 3 different desserts, chocolate cake (with candy  spelling 'XII' and a '1' and '2' candle), strawberry shortcake-ish delight, and apple cake, plus tons of candy.
So that's the last 2 weeks (a really short version). I still miss home a lot, sometimes more than others, (like during CMU Band Day) but it’s getting easier, and every day I feel like I'm fitting in more and more.

Tomorrow will be 7 weeks…geeze, 7 weeks, and them next Wednesday…2 months. I feel like my time here is disappearing. I’m 1/4th of the way done.. which makes me sad

I'll try to write again sooner than two weeks from now!

Hope you are well ! Salut!!!

P.S. : Don’t be afraid to send email’s(elitinkfort@gmail.com) I’d love to here what’s going on with your life. 

Plus: check out the new photos! http://picasaweb.google.com/home

4 comments:

  1. To be or not to be that is the question. To do this Hamlet essay or not. I know you will, just kidding. Do you act out any of the scenes in class, in French. You could be Laertes or even Hamlet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to read highlights of your days! I'm especially excited to read abuot the success of your presentation in English class! I hope it works out for you to do more of them in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. new blog post please, smake.

    ReplyDelete