Thursday, August 27, 2009

I've Arrived!

I can't believe it but I'm here! The flight was good, but long. 17 hours from the time I got on the plane in KCI and stepped off it in Nice. I was extremely nervous until, while waiting for my luggage, I looked through the gate and saw a group of smiling people waving at me. I walked through customs(a man behind the counter said “May I see your passport?" I kind-of showed it to him, and he gestured to go out) and walked into France. My host-parents, and people with Rotary were there to greet me. I went with my 'parents' and rode in the car from Nice to Les Arcs. We stopped on the way and Yzabel bought a fresh baguette. We arrived at the house and I unpacked, and we ate lunch , french fries:) ,steak, bread with various chesses, (Yzabel showed me what part of France they were from),and salad. We then went to Frejus/Saint Raphael, and I saw the sea. It was very beautiful. We came back to Les Arcs, I met friends of the family, and we walked to a restaurant. When we got home I went to bed,(I hadn’t slept for 29- ish hours). This morning (almost afternoon) I got up at 11:40, went down stairs, and ate "breakfast", Kellogs brand chocolate cereal, and a croissant (made a a local bakery)with nutella and jelly. Today,Yzabel ,my sister,Cannel, and I went to buy school supplies at a local mall with a wallmart-type store attached. Now I'm 'home' and need to go eat dinner(ratatouille).Afterwards at 1:30 AM were going to watch the two moons, Mars(which will look very big) and the Moon.
It's un-believably beautiful here,(the town, country, house, people).My parents are incredibly nice. As my,(real)mother said, "I've hit the jackpot!". The Rotary handbook said that this feeling of euphoria will come and go...but right now I can't imagine it going anywhere!

3 comments:

  1. YOU BLOG. Ahhhh I am so jealous. It is a rainy day here in good ol' Iowa and my heart misses yours. But, know that I am always wishing you the best and cannot believe what you are accomplishing. Well, I CAN believe it but it's still amazing. Hugs and all my love, anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great there Eli (nice pictures)
    Have a great time in France and thanks for the blog posts.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eli, it's so grand to read your news! The pictures are awesome, you really have arrived in paradise! I called you the day you left, but it was to your broken cell phone, c'est dommage! Keep up the news reports, I love it! Love & hugs, Kesh

    ReplyDelete